|A sprite of a Rolling Drill from 'Mega Man 5|
The Rolling Drill is a Level Object originating from Napalm Man's stage from Mega Man 5 and was included in Mega Man Maker version 1.3.0. The rolling drill is a purple circular 3-tile high spinning drill that moves horizontally in a set direction when on screen. While moving, if the drill comes in contact with any floor tiles (this includes Spikes) it will burrow through and destroy them. The same will happen if it runs into Dust Blocks, however other entities will instead be passed through regardless if they are solid or not. If most ground and water enemies are run into by the drill they will be destroyed. Minibosses are also instantly defeated, meanwhile normal bosses will simply be pushed by the drills unless they are ran into a wall, where they will then be crushed to death as a result. If the player comes in contact with the drill, they too will die instantly.
Only the front portion of the drill will destroy blocks and harm things. The top, bottom, and backside however are harmless and act as solid ground. This allows enemies, bosses, and the player character to stand on them and ride them as they move.
Rolling Drills can also be spawned from Rolling Drill Spawners. These spawners are non-solid purple garage-like doors about as large as the Rolling Drills they spawn. While closed, the player character and other entities can pass through it. However, once it opens up and finishes spawning a Rolling Drill the drill will be as solid and deadly as usual and can kill anything that is unfortunate enough to be standing in the middle of, or just in front of the spawner. Once a drill spawned from a spawner is off screen or destroyed the spawner will soon after spawn a new drill. However, if the drill is destroyed immediately, the spawner would make a new one as soon as it's destroyed.
- The Rolling Drill's ability to destroy tiles was not originally show to happen in Mega Man 5, and instead comes from the Gameboy version Mega Man 4 (Rockman World 4) where it was again featured in Napalm Man's stage, where its movement was slightly different but also featured its ability to destroy tiles in its way.
- When originally added into Mega Man Maker, there was a minor bug that caused Rolling drills to destroy a row of blocks immediately behind it when first spawned, as well as an extra in front of it if it ran into a wall at the edge of a room with another room on the other side. It was later patched out in a following update.
- Another glitch the Rolling Drill previously had involved them destroying Wily, Mr.X, or Cossack plates. If a drill ran into one, it would destroy it like normal tiles, however the collision of the plates would remain making them impassable despite appearing to no longer exist. It was later patched out in a following update allowing the drills to destroy plates like any other tile.
- Thanks to Rolling Drills being considered solid ground, if a Giree enemy comes in contact with one it will stick to it and roll around on it.
- If a rolling drill is destroyed immediately as it's spawned from a Spawner, the spawner will almost instantly spawn another rather then having a short cool down. Normally, if a spawned drill is destroyed after it's moved for a short period the spawner will not respawn it for a short period of time. It's unknown if is indeed a glitch or perhaps some intended behavior to make it harder to get past the spawner.
- If a Rolling Drill forces a Boss into a wall, there is a slim chance it will instead clip them into the wall rather than kill them.