|Complete Works Artwork of Astro Man from Mega Man 8|
DWN-058 Astro Man is a Robot Master that comes from Mega Man 8 and returns in Mega Man & Bass who is featured in Mega Man Maker as of its 1.5.0 update. He fights using his signature weapons the screen-encompassing Astro Crush and illusive Copy Vision along with his laser-firing spheres that orbit his body.
He was once a robot built for use in a planetarium, however he was modified by Dr. Wily for combat and sent to destroy Mega Man. He along with Tengu Man were later resurrected for use in combat again by the robot King as a part of his robot revolution where they once again came into conflict with Mega Man as well as Bass.
Astro Man is a robot composed of a small green head, green torso, and a large grey sphere in place of a lower body. His head features a black screen with two red eyes, a yellow weather device of some sort on top, and a white and grey brace-like section connecting it to his body. His torso includes a teal box in the center with a form of grey electrical panel. His shoulders are spherical and also teal. Segmented yellow tubes connect his shoulders to the rest of his arms as well as one connecting to his spherical lower body. His arms are segmented like a pill capsule with the sections attached to the arms green and the other half yellow. His hands are also spherical grey balls with large yellow fingers segmented similar to his arms and waist. His spherical lower half is a teal blue/green with glowing pink segments, the bottom meanwhile is purely grey. The spheres that orbit him are also teal with a small blue core in each surrounded by six smaller red cores.
Astro Man has three attack patterns that he can use during battle. First, He can spin and dive towards the player in an attempt to collide with them. Second, He also can use his Astro Crush, which consists on a meteor rain made up of flaming afterimages of himself that are mostly indestructible but can be reflected or canceled out by certain weapons. Before using it, he appears and disappears many times across several sections of the screen and uses his balls at a lower level. Both Astro Man and his balls are intangible in this activation process. His third attack consists on making his spheres rotate in an elliptical path and shoot projectiles that look like shooting stars. Astro Man is an easy target during this attack, as he will not move or attempt to guard himself during this time.
He has no response to terrain nor to similar objects that affect other bosses, like Conveyor Belts.
- The Astro Crush shot by Astro Man originally had a safe spot located at the last height where Astro Man appeared. Aze stated that this was changed for Mega Man Maker to make Astro Man more challenging.
- Because Astro Man is featured as a boss in both Mega Man 8 and Mega Man & Bass he is one of very few robot masters that have multiple special weapons. In Mega Man 8 The Player will obtain Astro Crush upon his defeat, meanwhile in Mega Man & Bass he will give the Player his Copy Vision. Both have yet to be featured in Mega Man Maker for use by the Player Character.
- Astro Man is one of the only Bosses in Mega Man Maker who can not be confined into a small space and contained during a fight as a result of his ability to teleport.
- Astro Man is notably weaker in Mega Man & Bass compared to how he is in Mega Man 8, having all of his carried over attacks reduced from 6 damage to 2 or 3 with the exception of his contact damage with his body staying at 4. His total health was also reduced from 40 to 28. This was likely done to better balance within the new game, and appear to be the stats carried over into Mega Man Maker.
- Because Astro Man only appears in the games Mega Man 8 and Mega Man & Bass he lacks any official 8bit sprites. As a result, the sprites of him used in Mega Man Maker were custom made by Zedicon.