Playing on Mac or Linux
Playing on Linux
Ubuntu 16.04 (Xenial Xerus)
Install PlayOnLinux from the software center.
Choose "install a program".
Choose "install an unlisted program".
Create a new virtual disk (named mine "megamanmaker").
Take a pause from the PlayOnLinux installation, download MegaManMaker, extract it, and place the resulting folder in "\home\.PlayOnLinux\wineprefix\megamanmaker\drive_c\Program Files\"
Back in the PlayOnLinux installation, choose "manual installation" and select a different Wine version. Use Wine version 1.9.24.
When starting MegamanMaker you will get an error message "Index was outside the bounds of the array" but you can ignore it, everything works fine.
Tested with Ubuntu 16.04, PlayonLinux 4.2.10 and Megamanmaker 18.104.22.168 (1018).
Tested for several hours, including fullscreen, sounds, internet profile and server access.
Debian 10 (Buster)
As Game Maker is not available on Linux we need to execute the Windows executable using wine and mono.
Execute these lines on a terminal to install the needed packages. The second line can vary according to the version.
sudo apt-get install wine wine-mono msiexec /i /usr/share/wine/mono/wine-mono-4.5.6.msi
Download the latest version of Mega Man Maker and extract it. Navigate to the destination directory and run:
A error message might occur saying "Array index out of range". Click OK and ignore it.
What was tested:
- The game runs. (10 mins tested)
- Fullscreen does work. Alt + Tab works without problems.
- Controller support. Not restricted to Xbox controllers as buttons can be remapped.
- Music and Sfx through Pulseaudio.
- Share button for Tweeting opens default internet browser. Tweeting was tested.
- Tearing, as VSync seems to be not working out of the box.
- Server Connection errors can occour occasionally. (Is this even a Issue only on Linux?)
Workaround for VSync on Nvidia GPUs
Open a terminal and start the Nvidia X Server Settings
- Click on X Server Display Configuration inside the tree on the left.
- Click on Advanced...
- Enable the checkbox Force Full Composition Pipeline
- Click Apply.
Don't save this as this might have negative side effects on other software.
The tearing should not occur any more.
Playing on MacOS