|An example of lit and unlit oil tiles from the stage Kerosene Fane by CSketch.|
Oil is a level object that was added to Mega Man Maker in version 1.4.0. It first appeared in Mega Man 6, in Flame Man's stage. When oil is in its normal state, it limits the mobility of the player if they step in it, including ground movement speed and jump height. Some sources of fire, including the player's weapons, enemies, bosses or other level objects will cause oil tiles to ignite. The ignited (or lit) oil functions similarly to Spikes, causing the player to lose a life upon collision. Using Skull Barrier's shield will allow the player to safely walk on ignited oil. Some sources of water will douse lit oil tiles.
Regardless of the Oil's status, the Pooker can be used to navigate through it. If a Pooker is defeated in a way that does not destroy them and falls upon Oil, it becomes an inflatable raft that floats over it.
A connected line of oil tiles will share the same properties. If one tile was ignited, all will be, while dousing one tile means dousing them all.
This table lists all assets that interact with oil in some way. Some ignite unlit oil, and some douse lit oil.
|Fire Storm||Weapon||Ignites on contact|
|Atomic Fire||Weapon||Ignites on contact|
|Flame Blast||Weapon||Ignites on contact|
|Flame Sword||Weapon||Ignites on contact|
|Magma Bazooka||Weapon||Ignites on contact|
|Water Wave||Weapon||Douses on contact|
|Rain Flush||Weapon||Douses on contact|
|Tackle Fire||Enemy||Ignites on contact|
|Hothead||Enemy||Ignites using projectiles|
|Hot Dog||Enemy||Ignites using projectiles|
|Fire Telly||Enemy||Ignites using projectiles|
|Pooker||Enemy||When defeated, floats over Oil in any status|
|Fire Met||Enemy||Ignites on contact|
|Fire Totem||Enemy||Ignites using projectiles|
|Air Fire||Enemy||Ignites using projectiles|
|Flame Man||Boss||Ignites using projectiles|
|Fire Beam||Level object||Ignites on contact|
|Magma Beam Generator||Level object||Ignites on contact|
|Wily Firewall||Level object||Ignites on contact|
- Surprisingly, the Oil Slider weapon has no unique functionality with regards to oil.
- Despite Hothead's head being on fire, the enemy touching the oil will not ignite it, only its projectiles will.
- Fire projectiles that are deflected by Shine or Proto Man's shield will not ignite oil.
- In Mega Man Powered Up there was a less lethal variant of Oil. That version only allowed the player to move with jumps and was harmful when ignited, but the path with oil would be easy to walk after the oil was fully burnt.
- Prior to version 1.5, Water Wave could not douse oil ignited underwater.
- When Hard Man creates an earthquake while the player is moving on the ground through oil, the player's movement momentum is reversed. If the player collides with something resembling a wall while this glitch is in effect, the player will clip into the wall or zip through it.
- If the player using Skull Barrier's shield, is pushed into a ceiling due to oil being ignited, instead of being crushed to death, the player will instead clip into or zip through nearby walls and ceilings, depending if the player is stationary or walking.